Sunday 15 April 2012

chalking, walking and other stuff!

This is going to be a bit of a mix of things covering what we have been up to over the last few days.  The biggest bit of news is that Bean is finally walking properly.  She has been taking the odd step or two for a while but now she is walking a lot more and a lot more steps.
I had planned to have a little video rather than a photo but it wouldn't upload.
 When the weather has allowed us we have been playing with chalks outside on the patio.  Bean wasn't so sure at first but when she realised they were like crayons she loved them, especially the sound they make hitting the ground!



 After chalking and a tantrum when it started to spit, Bean decided it was time for some painting.  Painting is quickly becoming her favourite activity.

 Today Mummy got out the playdough and decided to let Daddy have some fun with Bean.  Daddy isn't a bit fan of messy play, he doesn't mind getting messy when baking or cooking but not with creative activities.

Bean has been in bed since 6:40pm so I have spent my evening surfing the internet and catching up on various facebook groups.  As we weaned Bean "Baby led" I am a member of various baby led weaning groups (and websites), tonight someone posted about a blog by "mamacook",  I haven't had time to really go through this blog but I did find a recipe for no added sugar scones.  I had pretty much all the ingredients so thought I would make half a batch and see what Bean thought of them.  First off I couldn't find the raisins so I had to resort to out emergancy little snack packs and then I realised I have no lemon juice to try out her little tip, so I made them without.

This is the recipe as found on mamacook's blog:

No added sugar scones - makes 6-10 depending on size

Ingredients

225g Self raising flour (or plain flour with added baking powder)
50g Unsalted butter, straight from the fridge
125g Sultanas (golden raisins)
100ml Full fat milk plus extra for brushing
a squeeze of lemon juice - my cunning tip for better scones.  The acid reacts with the bicarbonate of soda to make them rise more.

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC / 400F - slightly higher if you don't have a fan.

Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.  Stir in the sultanas.  Add the lemon juice to the milk and then add the milk into the dry ingredients.  You should have a soft dough; add more milk if needed.

Pat (don't roll) the dough out on a floured surface until it's about 1 inch thick (approx 2.5cm), I know this sounds thick but trust me, after years of flat scones, I now realise you have to make them far thicker than you'd imagine.

Using a fluted cutter or a simple shape, cut out the scones, don't twist the cutter as this may affect the rise.  For babies and toddlers, it might be easier to use a sharp knife and make into rectangles.  Scoop up any scraps and reform to get more but try and handle the dough as little as possible.

Brush the top with a little extra milk and bake for around 12 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Ideally serve still warm either on their own or with butter, maybe a little jam or strawberries and cream for grown ups. Delicious.


As I said before I halved the recipe and didnt include the lemon juice.  I made them quite small, so if Bean likes them then next time I might make them bigger and thicker.




 I will be giving one to Bean to try tomorrow so will let you know her reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment